Indian Orchard, MA

my big toe on my right foot got bruised a year ago and ever since, the left side has been puffy and red. every so often, it hurts and gets puss. what should i do?

Dr. Grace Torres-hodges
Podiatry 23 years experience
Possibly ingrown: Based on your description, it is plausible that when you bruised the toe, it caused the toenail to become imbedded and what you see as puffy, red and with pus can actually an infected ingrown nail. See a podiatrist to have it checked and treated.
Dr. Shah Chowdhury
INGROWN TOENAIL: This is a chronic low grade infection with extra granulation tissue formation and pus inside. Soak ur foot in warm water in a bucket 30 min 1-2 times/day, put one tablespoonful epsom salt. Release the nail angle so that pus comes out. Remember, when you clip your nail, don't cut the corners, wear loose fitting shoes. See your podiatrist, you might need antibiotic and some surgical cleaning.
Dr. Jeffrey Mackler
Podiatry 49 years experience
Ingrown toe nail : You toe nail is the dirtiest part of your foot and is probably infected need to seek professional help of a podiatrist.
Dr. Christopher Hendrix
Podiatry 27 years experience
Embedded nail: Sounds like an infected embedded nail margin. Start soaking in epsom salt and see your podiatrist asap ! happy feet ! -h-.
Dr. Richard Taddeo
Podiatry 26 years experience
Ingrowing toenail: Go see a podiatrist and have them get that piece out. You WILL feel better after