does lidocaine viscous work on skin?

Dr. John Sampson
Anesthesiology 32 years experience
Viscous lido skin: If a portion of the skin is abraided or open then the viscous Lidocaine will have a chance to have some action. But generally it is not designed to make it through the skin to act on the nerves. So i can't say that it won't work at all, but i can say that it won't be a very strong effect through intact skin, especially if the skin in that region is thick.
Dr. Neil Manago
Anesthesiology 36 years experience
Not very effective: Viscous Lidocaine does work on the skin, especially on the inner forearm and other areas where the epidermis is very thin but not very effective and it takes a fair amount of time. Other forms of topical local anesthetics are much more effective.