why won't my sinuses or ears drain?

Dr. David Martin
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 28 years experience
Sinuses: There are many causes, such as swelling of the sinus opening, eutachian tube swelling and allergies. See your ENT to help find the cause.

When is it ok to pierce my baby's ears?

Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Yes: Although it is considered safe to have a baby's ears pierced i generally do not pierce infant ears. I usually wait until the child is old enough to ask for them. If your baby does have earrings i recommend taking them out at night (after the holes have healed) to reduce the risk of accidental swallowing/choking.

How do I clean my baby's ears?

Dr. Michael Pappas
Warm washcloth: Hello, babies are really a lot cleaner than we (adults) are. The only real dirty place on a baby is the diaper area. There is no real reason to clean the inside of your baby's ears. A warm washcloth to the outside will work just fine. Soft and gentle is the way to go. Try not to put water in the canal, as that can be irritating to the little ones.

Why does my baby keep pulling on her ears?

Dr. Melissa Arca
Specializes in Pediatrics
Because she can!: Babies pull, tug, and play with their ears usually because they can. They have discovered these interesting appendages attached to the side of their heads and they can't resist. Sometimes, infants who are teething will pull and tug at their ears. Ear pulling in the absence of other symptoms is rarely associated with ear infections.

Do ticks bite your ear?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 27 years experience
They can: Ticks generally favor warmer parts of the body... Groin, neck, arm pit, belly button. If they favor the ear... It is more likely where the ear joins the skull. They would typically not bite the outer part of the ear along the rim.. It's just to cold for them.
Indianapolis, IN

Getting solid, green, balls of boogers that drain from my sinuses at times. My ears are slightly stuffed up, my sinuses feel dry&runny both. Ideas?

Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 57 years experience
Sinus infection: Your symptoms are suggestive of the presence of a sinus infection. Need to see your doctor. If you have asthma symptoms 2 or more times/wk (aside from exercise), you should talk to your doctor about using a controller medication.

Last updated Mar 9, 2018