France

Can doxycycline and tetracycline taken in first five weeks of pregnancy cause birth defects?

No: They are usually avoided in pregnancy but not a problem for the fetus in the first 12-18 wks.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Shah Chowdhury
MEDS IN PREGNANCY: Both Doxycycline and tetracycline fall in pregnancy safety category-d. It means: there is positive evidence of human fetal risk, but the potential benefits from the use of the drug in pregnant women may be acceptable despite its potential ricks (e.g. If the drug is needed in life threatening situation or for a serious disease for which safer drugs can't be used or are ineffective).