Sturgis, SD

Can non lenghth dependant small fiber neuropathy cause my face and teeth to be numb?

Dr. Robert Kent
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 12 years experience
Yes: The face is a common area for nld-sfn to affect. While usually this presents as pain, it can present as numbness as well. I hope this answers your question and best of luck!
Dr. Peter Karsant
Dentistry 39 years experience
Neuropathy: Yes it can affect the face as this affect cutaneous nerves. Gums maybe, teeth I have not heard of however everyone is different and i would not rule it out. Please see your md neurologist for additional information on your individual case and treatment.
Dr. Mitchell Cohen
Yes: This type of neuropathy often causes numbness, tingling and burning of areas of the face. Pain in the teeth is a secondary phenomenon caused activation of nerves to your teeth by the abnormal facial nerves.

Last updated Sep 10, 2019