Brazil

My total iron is 38 and my saturated iron level is 8 and 471 for my binding capacity. what does this mean? which number should i go by?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 23 years experience
Iron deficiency: You have iron deficiency with low iron saturation and high tibc. Ferritin or iron storage will be very useful. You would need to discuss this result with your doctor and you need to get some replacement as well as to find the cause of your iron deficiency. Menstrual bleeding/heavy period is usually the cause in young woman like yourself. D/w your doctor.
Dr. Scott Diede
Iron deficient: All of your numbers suggest slight iron deficiency, assuming the following units are correct: 38 (normal is 50-150 mcg/dl); sat iron of 8 (normal is 15-50%); and 471 for TIBC (normal is 250-450 mcg/dl). Check with the physician who ordered these tests, and they may recommend diet changes (more iron rich foods) and/or beginning oral iron supplementation.

Last updated Dec 30, 2016