U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 42-year-old male asked:

My cpn is unsure what the psychiatrist will do for me as i can't take ad's for anxiety i have been on valium for 10 years i wonder if its made it worse?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Beeing on: Benzodiazapines for ten years doesn't really help the underlying anxiety. If you can find a quiet place - do so. Breath in slowly & deeply through your nostrils. Fill your lungs with air (but not to the point of discomfort). Hold for a count of five then slowly begin to exhale through an open mouth. Repeat at least 12 times, longer if you need to. *talking therapy ranks really high. Cognitive >.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Provided original answer
Behavioral therapy can be quite effective. Aim for daily exercise, 8 hours of sleep per night & good nutrition with 5 servings of veggies & 4 of fruit per day. Try tai chi, yoga, Qi Gong, progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing exercises & meditation. Don't isolate - spend time with friends and stay active.
Sep 5, 2013
Dr. Ralph Wharton
Psychiatry 65 years experience
Gradually wean yourself off Valium Over years Valium may become a depressant
Sep 15, 2013
Dr. Mara Fiorentino
Psychiatry 37 years experience
Anxiety can worsen: Anxiety can worsen with time. If the anxiety has not been eradicated through therapy or the roots of the problem remain untouched, most likely medications by itself would not solve all issues. Benzodiazepines (valium, xanax, (alprazolam) klonopin) create tolerance and it is possible that you need more of them along life. Combination of ssri, anxiolytics and psychotherapy are the treatment gold standard.
Last updated May 8, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.