United Kingdom

I got an x-ray of my mouth done and it reported a growth on my gum. my dentist isn't sure what the growth is. i am in pain and i have been referred to the hospital now. what could it be if not an abscess?

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
Get evaluated: Your dentist is doing the right thing by referring you to have the growth on your gum evaluated. There are many things that can cause a growth like you describe and many are easily treated. Follow your dentist's referral.
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 33 years experience
Not sure either: Is he referring you out for a biopsy? There are several possibilities. Since we are limited in this forum i could only render a guess. Your dentist is obviously concerned and wants to find out what is causing you pain. Good luck.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Clarification?: Although we would love to give you an answer to your question and try to allay your concerns, it is impossible on this type of forum. Growths on gums would be seen clinically while x-rays would show us lesions in bone, so that your question is somewhat unclear and confusing. What is important is that you are obviously being referred to someone who can diagnose and treat this.
Dr. Ronald Achong
Oral &Maxillofacial Surgery 18 years experience
See an oral surgeon: Have an oral surgeon examine your mouth, neck, jaws, teeth and tongue. A biopsy of the tongue may be recommended along with imaging studies. Good luck.

Last updated Mar 18, 2015