OH
A 22-year-old male asked about a 32-year-old female:

how effective is lamictal for bipolar disorder? what is typical dose for bipolar? is it sometimes also used just for depression without mania?

Lamictal is an: Excellent medication. However, it takes a while to get the dose up to therapeutic so it isn't the drug to use to treat an acute episode of mania. My patients usually take any wheres from 100 to 400 mg per day. I have sometimes used it in a patient with unipolar depression who has not responded to other medication trials.
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Good medicine: In my practice, i regularly prescribe both topiramate and lamotrigene for bipolar disorder. I have found each to be very effective when taken at full, therapeutic doses. Again, in my practice, I have found that 100-200mgs twice daily is an effective dose range. I have used it occasionally for recurrent depression without mania.
Dr. Daryl Tanski
Specializes in Psychiatry
Based on evidence: Lamictal has proven effective in reducing risk of recurrence of mood episodes in bipolar disorder following treatment of the acute episode with standard of care recommended dose is 2000mg per day absent concurrent treatment with Carbamazepine or divalproex. The need for 6 week titration limits use as a treatment option in acute phase of illness.
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
I think Dr. Tanski meant to say the recommended dose is 200 mgs once or twice daily, not 2000mgs.
May 17, 2017