United Kingdom (Great Britain)

59 year old male i take ramipril 10mg per day for high blood pressure & my blood pressure is still high 170/80 what do you recommend please?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 30 years experience
Go see your doctor: Looks like you're already taking Diltiazem in addition to your ramipril. If your blood pressure is still high after 2 medications, ask about adding hctz, (hydrochlorothiazide) a weak diuretic. Exercise is useful as is eating a low salt, high potassium/magnesium diet.
Dr. Louis Cady
Dr. Louis Cady commented
I agree with Dr. Lin. In addition, I would make sure that you have had a thoughtful and thorough medical workup to exclude undiagnosed hyperthyroidism, adrenal secreting tumor, or renal artery stenosis (which can sometimes be picked up by a thorough physical exam with "ausculation" (which means "listening" in non-medical speak) directly over your renal arteries. All of Dr. Lin's suggestions are great, and I'm sure he would agree with these three additional concerns. Finally, there is the possibility of elevation in blood pressure simply due to emotional/psychologcial stress - and there are excellent and non-zombifying treatments for that as well. Good luck.
Aug 31, 2013
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin commented
Geriatrics 30 years experience
Provided original answer
Dr. Cady is absolutely correct. We need to make sure there's no underlying cause of high blood pressure such as those conditions he mentioned. With regards to increase in blood pressure due to stress, if it happens only in the doctor's office, we call that "white coat hypertension". The only way to figure this out is to measure your blood pressure at home and then bring in your cuff for calibration so that we can interpret your readings. This last part, calibration, is vey important to prove accuracy of your cuff.
Aug 31, 2013
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 48 years experience
BP still elevated: Your blood pressure is terribly elevated. You are ramipril (r) and ditiazem (d), both of which are not being given to you at maximum doses. Call your physician (p) and see if you can go to 20 mg of r and 360 mg of d daily. If that does not control your bp, your p may have to increase the number of BP meds you are taking. If your BP is still > 140 on 4 meds, consider secondary causes of hbp.