Dr. put me on restasis for 2 months + otc drops. how long can one stay on restasis - forever?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Jodi Luchs answered

Specializes in LASIK Surgery

Indefinitely: Many patients doing well on Restasis will stay on it indefinitely. Remember that dry eye syndrome is a progressive disease in many people and while Restasis can slow the progression and increase tear production, it does not cure the disease. Much like high blood pressure or high cholesterol, the medications control, not cure, the condition and must be taken chronically.

Answered 4/1/2016

4.9k views

Dr. Mark Pyfer answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

Yes if necessary: Restasis is dilute cyclosprin, which suppresses white blood cells called t cells on the surface of your eye. This reduces chronic inflammation and promotes a healthy tear film. It takes several weeks to work, and the effect eventually goes away if you stop the drops. If it is working you can continue indefinitely. Some people cycle on and off drops as a maintenance treatment with good results.

Answered 6/30/2014

4.9k views