sprained my knee should i put pressure on it?

Dr. John Michalski
Orthopedic Surgery 36 years experience
Knee sprain: General rule of thumb for a knee injury: initial treatment with rest, ice, compression, and elevation.

What should I do to recover from a sprained knee?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery 32 years experience
Degree dictates plan: A "sprained knee" is not specific enough a diagnosis your recovery pathway. A detailed determination of the actual structures injured and whether the sprain is mild, moderate, or severe will provide adequate information to prescribe a correct treatment algorithm in your case.
Hackensack, NJ

If I sprained my knee how long do I ice it ann when do I put heat on it?

Dr. John Moor
Dr. John Moor answered
Sports Medicine 38 years experience
If pain is relieved: Classic teaching is ice first and heat later. Fact is, both increase blood flow. That's why your face turns red equally when you go outside in heat or freezing. So, apply if it feels good and don't if it feels bad. Neither make it heal better of faster per any valid study. Avoid freezing or burning skin. Don't keep ice on if it hurts.
Los Angeles, CA

Is a healed sprained knee different than before it was sprained?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Geriatrics 40 years experience
Yes: Once we experience any lesion in our bodies we will never be the same, but time will let you know. You are probably prone to have another sprain in the future.

What can I do for a sprained knee?

Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
RICE: This stands for rest, ice, compression and elevation. You need to make sure none of the ligaments or meniscus are torn. If there is a significant amount of fluid or swelling in the knee there is a greater likelihood of this. Get evaluated by your doctor, he or she can refer you for pt or orthopedics if needed it may be worse than you think.

How long before a sprained knee heals?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Variable: Sprains can take as little as a few days, or as long as months to heal. See your doctor to make sure there is not a tear causing the pain.

Last updated Aug 30, 2013