What is a pulmonary function test?

Dr. Jason Adler
Pediatric Critical Care 25 years experience
Pulmonary function: Pulmonary function testing generally requires a person to sit in a booth and breathe through a mouthpiece. A machine analyzes the flow and volume of air moving trough the lungs. The procedure is benign and not painful.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Michael Sanders
Pulmonology 17 years experience
PFT's: are tests that look at your lung function. They are used to tell if you have obstructive disease by looking at how much air you can blow out; they can tell if you have a restrictive disease by looking at your lung volumes; and they can tell how well you are able to exchange oxygen between your alveoli (air sacs) and capillaries by doing a diffusion test.