Saint Charles, MO

decreasing prn meds due to all the meds i take for back issues. is l-theanine a good substitute for ativan (lorazepam) for anxiety? how effective is it?

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Complex situation : I don't know what dose of Lorazepam you are on or how long you've been on it. I would not however utilize l-theanine as a substitute for lorazepam. You would first have to gradually, and i mean very gradually taper down the dose of Lorazepam under the supervision of your prescribing physician. L-theanine has shown to be as effective as Lorazepam in some studies. However, it does not block Lorazepam withdrawal. After you were to withdraw from the lorazepam, your doctor would some point introduce the other over-the-counter substance to see if it would help in terms of your anxiety.