U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old female asked:

I have interstitial cysitis and get shooting pain like shocks in pelvic area and genital area. also well as in lower legs. could all be caused by ic?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology 37 years experience
Could be: Most women with ic feel like they have a bladder infection but don't. It is, however, possible to have unusual pelvic pain. There are studies that link the presence of endometriosis, which also may cause pelvic pain, with ic. I do not see lower leg pain with ic though.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Timothy Raichle
Obstetrics and Gynecology 24 years experience
Consider other!: Interstitial cystitis is a problem related to the bladder and pain related to changes in the 'lining' of the bladder. I would expect this pain to be limited to the pelvic region. The comment about radiation of the pain into your legs makes me think that something else might be going on. It is okay to revisit this with a second opinion. Ask about back and nerve related problems.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 27, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.