what are the long-term outcomes of surgical treatment for spinal stenosis?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
It depends: These arethe result after 8 years follow up for patients have the sugery.There were 68% excellent and good, 22% fair and 10% poor results. Back pain was relieved in 91% of the patients. Leg pain was relieved in 76% of the patients. Numbness was relieved in 87% of the patients. Five patients had re-operations.
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 40 years experience
Usually ok: When surgery is indicated, good results are found in the majority of patients but tend to lessen after 5 years due to ongong degenerative changes. However, if you are a smoker, have diabetes, neuropathy, peripheral vascular disease, the results are less predictable. The same is true if in the cervical region, a myleopathy has developed as a result of the stenosis.