i've had my root canal several years ago and still no crown over it. if i do that, will the tooth last a life time?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
No guarantees: In medicine and dentistry. We are not dealing with only a product. Even if we were, you probably notices less and less things are guaranteed and when they are, it is for shorter periods of time and with more restrictions. A dentist cannot control how you eat, how well you keep your teeth clean, how often you come in for checkups, etc. Discuss treatment and prognosis with your own dentist.
Dr. Donald Cohen
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 42 years experience
Maybe: Even with a root canal and crown you may loose your tooth before the end of your life. You will surely loose it if you don't have a crown placed as it will more than likely decay and not have enough tooth left for a crown.