what is crowning? normally those that did root canal treatment did the crowning also. does it permanently stick to teeth?

Dr. Seth Rosen
Specializes in Dentistry
Tooth Covering: A crown, also referred to as a cap, is a covering that is placed over a tooth. Crowns are placed to protect a tooth from failure, such as breaking, or to replace parts of a missing tooth. A crown is permanently cemented to the tooth. If the crown falls off it can easily be recemented by a dentist.
Dr. Dominick Curalli
Dentistry 20 years experience
Protective cover: A crown is a durable cap that veneers and gives strength to teeth that have been weakened by decay or fracture. It is permanently cemented to the tooth, but can still fail if not cared for. If you had a root canal by your general dentist, he or she will likely place a crown after. If an endodontist (specialist) did your root canal, you will be referred back to your general dentist for the crown.
Dr. Lon Kessler
Specializes in Dentistry
Tooth Covering: A crown is a permanent covering that fits over an original tooth that is either decayed, damaged or cracked. Crowns are made of a variety of different materials such as porcelain, gold, acrylic resin or a mix of these materials. Porcelain generally has the most natural appearance, your dentist will decide which material is best to use.