U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 46-year-old member asked:

Loose tooth post-root canal & crowning, how can this be remedied?

4 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 42 years experience
Complex: The root canal treatment is probably now recontaminated and usually will need to be 'retreated'. However, if this loosening has occurred, then it may be that there is not enough solid tooth to support the crown and biting forces. Might not be a good idea to fix this, but rather extract it and have an implant placed with a crown after 3 - 4 months. See prosthodontist for options. Good luck.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Evaluation: The cause of the mobility needs to be determined... bone loss? Fracture? Periodontal problems? Post loose? Only a local dentist who can examine you can find the cause. Give the office a call.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Loose from?: If the crown is loose, intact and no caries, the crown might be able to be re-cemented. If the structure inside the crown is decayed or fractured, at least a new post and crown. If the tooth is unrestorable due to root fracture, periodontal breakdown, untreatable infection, etc. an extraction would be in order. This needs to be evaluated in person by a dentist who can discuss your options.
Dr. Diane Minich
Family Medicine 38 years experience
See your dentist: asap to see the cause then they can determine the best course of treatment.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated May 24, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.