what might i do to handle a family member in a clinical depression?

Dr. Jason Berman
Understanding that: Depression is a serious problem--your loved one can't 'snap out of it' by will alone depression is not personal in that a depressed person will often not be able to connect with you and that is not because of you hiding the problem, or pretending to others that he or she is not depressed does not help and can even prevent the person from getting treatment you can't fix your loved one's depress.
Dr. Caroline Cribari
GET SUPPORT: If s/he is at risk of self harm or harm to others or cannot take care of him/herself because of the depression, call 911 or get the family member to an er. Also, you can find a psychiatrist near you via healthtap. Offer to go to a followup appointment for depression treatment with him/her. Get support for yourself! get a therapist for yourself!(nami.Org).