U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 45-year-old member asked:

I have a bump inside my mouth with a white head and hurts. what is this called?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Abscess: It appears you have an abscess from your description. In needs to be evaluated by a dentist for the cause and for proper treatment. It will not resolve on its own if it is an abscess.
Dr. Martin Hirsch
50 years experience
White headed bump: Where is this located? Is it on the gums or the cheek. If it is near a tooth it might be a draining infection. If it is on the cheek it might be a canker sore or an irritation. Try to break open the white head and see if any pus come out. If it does then you have an infection and need to see your dds.
Last updated Nov 28, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.