U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 64-year-old female asked:

Dr says i have slight enlarged spleen but didn't do any tests is this usual i went to see him as i have left side rib pain.

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Brouwer
Internal Medicine 32 years experience
Splenomegaly: If your spleen is enlarged there must be a reason for it. You should have a blood test called a CBC to check your blood cells, especially platelets. Also a cmp to check your liver function, since an enlarged spleen can sometimes be due to a liver problem. A baseline ultrasound of the abdomen should assess the organs, and often a ct scan is indicated to further examine the vessels to liver, spleen.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.