i take temazapam 30mg. for anxiety/panic disorder. my doc also gave me seroquel (quetiapine) 100mg. for insomnia. i don't like it, can i take trazadone instead?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin answered
30 years experience Geriatrics
Get 2nd opinion: I'm going to go out on a limb & make myself a target but i can't rationalize using seroquel (quetiapine) as a drug solely for insomnia, at least not if you aren't being treated for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. There are "safer" drugs approved for insomnia w/o risking extrapyramidal symptoms, tardive dyskinesia, weight gain, high cholesterol & high sugars. Trazodone has none of these side eff.
Answered on Aug 13, 2013
2
2 comments
1
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin commented
30 years experience Geriatrics
Provided original answer
Thank you for your expertise! Much appreciated!
Aug 13, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
42 years experience Psychiatry
Not sure who you would be a "target" for on this, Dr. Lin! I'll stand with you in your comments about Seroquel for insomnia alone. However, I've also seen some for whom the insomnia is a prodrome of hypomania/mania . . . in which case it's useful since Seroquel is also a mood stabilizer. One of my patients who came to me for homeopathy refers to Seroquel as his "nuclear option" for sleep when nothing else will work. His remedy helps him, and yet he's been so sick that I still feel he needs mood stabilizer.
Aug 13, 2013
Dr. Jane Steiner
43 years experience Psychiatry
For sleep!: Temazepam is meant for sleep. It is not meant to be prescribed during the day for anything else, unless you've already tried the other meds for panic disorder, including antidepressants and other benzo's that are for daytime use and unless you are allergic or have had addictions to the other benzos. Trazodone is not necessarily the best drug for a man because of possible side effects.
Answered on Dec 9, 2013
2
2 comments
Dr. Jane Steiner
43 years experience Psychiatry
Provided original answer
I totally agree with trazodone being safer than Seoquel for sleep. I'm confused by the temazepam and ran out of room for a full answer !
Dec 2, 2013
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Trazodone is safer than Seroquel. The risk of priapism is 1:6,000. It is treatable if caught early.
Dec 2, 2013
25 years experience Psychiatry
A/ w Dr. Pappas &: Lin. I try to avoid using seroquel (quetiapine) as monotherapy for insomnia alone. However - many physicians/ psychiatrists do use if for this purpose. Please don't make any changes to your medications without consulting with your prescribing provider first.
Answered on Dec 8, 2015