My grandma had chickenpox as a kid.right now, she has asthma and is under prednisone.how likely is it that she'll get shingles?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Joseph Bark answered

Specializes in Dermatology

Shingles: Shingles is a condition in which the chickenpox virus or vericella is reactivated during adulthood. We don't know the exact cause of the reactivation, but depressed immunity has an influence on the development of vericella chickenpox spots. If your relative develops a linear rash on the body, she should be evaluated by a dermatologist for shingles, but there's no reason to suspect or link the two.

Answered 8/12/2013

4.9k views

Dr. John Chiu answered

Specializes in Allergy and Immunology

More than 1/3: 1/3 of people will have shingles, the older the more likely. I recommend that she gets immunized with zostavax soon to reduce the risk as well as the severity of shingles when and if it occurs.

Answered 8/29/2013

4.9k views