i'm going to have a spine fusion surgery using a metal plate in my back. what are the chances that my bodywillreject the metal plate?

Dr. Stan Lee
Dr. Stan Leeanswered
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 23 years experience
Very low: The large majority of modern spinal instrumentation is made of titanium. Allergy to titanium is exceedingly rare.
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery 40 years experience
Rare: The metals and plastics used in surgery are well tolerated. Some can cause allergy, but happily this is rare.
Dr. Will Moorehead
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 52 years experience
Minimal: Most studies reports that immune response to spinal hardware is less than 0.1%. Titanium is mainly used in orthopedic implants today & is very inert. If your surgery include usage of hardware talk to your surgeon. As far as your concern about the hardware, an immune reaction should be the least of your concern.
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery 28 years experience
Unlikely: The metal used in spinal implants is titanium. It is MRI compatible and rarely causes any type of problem such as host response.