Hollywood, FL

help my big toe nail has been discolored for about 6 months now. at first it was reddish blue and now it's blackish bluish and a little green now.

Dr. Gebrehana Zebro (formerly Woldegiorgis)
Fungal infection: It looks like you have fungal infection of the toenail. It requires long term (couple of months )of antifungal treatment since it is tough for the antifungal medicine to penetrate and destroy the microbe. In any case i advise you to see your pcp, he /she may take some sample or treat you empirically.
Agree w Dr. Zebro. Can also see a podiatrist for this (or even dermatology).
Aug 9, 2013
Dr. Aaron Lewis
General Surgery 20 years experience
Hematoma: It sounds like a subungual hematoma . This happens usually from injury from injury to toe. Reddish blue is most likely active bleeding and black is old. The green is concerning. It should be evaluated for healing/infection. There are some bacteria that turn things green so you should see a podiatrist to evaluate. Healing bruises also turn many colors. The bruise has to grow out.