I have degenerative disc disease withspurs in my back and neck. do you think i'll be in much pain the older i get?

8 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Kenneth Cheng answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Degenerative disc disease and spurs usually indicate an inflammatory condition of the spine. This can be caused by over-use, trauma, or other causes. Long term pain can be mitigated by maintaining flexibility and strength. I encourage patients to remember, "motion is lotion;" the more your keep the joint(s) moving, the smoother they will move for you. Keep inflammation down with ice and advil (ibuprofen).

Answered Oct 18, 2016

6.5k views

Dr. Sarkis Banipalsin answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

As we get older, the disc degeneration will get worse slowly. The narrowing in disc space may cause pressure on nerve. Also we lose the muscle bulk and function as we get older. As the result we will have a weaker muscle to support back. You might feel more pain later. So always be prepared. Do exercises and stretching. Avoid sudden unexpected moves. Be careful about lifting. See your doctor.

Answered May 26, 2016

6.5k views

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

The key to keeping the back pain from worsening is to stay as active as you can. Exercises to strengthen the paraspinal muscles may be helpful.

Answered Jul 3, 2015

6.5k views

Dr. Dean Giannone answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Spurs are indicative of degenerative disease and arthritis, which is unlikely to get better and is very likely to worsen, weight loss, physical therapy and exercise will help, but will not fix the issue. Your pain will likely worsen over time.

Answered Dec 3, 2018

6.5k views