U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old member asked:

My husband noticed that myupper back is starting to become roundedin appearance. why is this, and will my posture continue to worsen?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Family Medicine 39 years experience
Osteoporosis?: Sounds like you may be developing kyphosis (commonly called a widow's hump) which results from osteoporosis of the thoracic area of the spine (and most likely elsewhere. You should see your doc to check your calcium levels as well as schedule a bone density test (dexa scan). Dairy products, green leafy veggies, calcium supplements (citrate is absorbed best) + vit d3, and exercise help—>.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Family Medicine 39 years experience
Provided original answer
—> there are also meds to help strengthen bone density. if the curvature becomes severe, a procedure can re-expand vertebrae (kyphoplasty) to prevent spinal cord/nerve pressure
Jan 31, 2012
Dr. Donald Alves
Emergency Medicine 25 years experience
Self-correct: At your age, it is more likely a habit than destiny. You need to practice / emphasize standing up fully and not "slouching" forward, as can lose vertebral height over time. Chiropractor or physical therapist can often help if not succeeding with self-correction.
Last updated Aug 13, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.