Radiologist says maybe atypical spinal hemangioma but multiple myeloma can't be ruled out. what does this mean?

10 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion answered

Specializes in Medical Oncology

Talk to doc: An online consultation is not what you need. Whosoever ordered whichever test that showed the bone abnormality needs to go over it with you and determine what other test (if any) are indicated. Hopefully is nothing serious.

Answered 8/8/2013

5k views

Dr. Atif Haque answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

Usually nothing: I see this quite often. I think mostly it is from radiologists mentioning every possibility without knowing anything else about the patient. These patients will usually get further workup, such as a bone scan, and I have yet to find a malignancy this way. That's not to say it isn't possible though.

Answered 12/10/2013

4.9k views

Often benign: While it is often true that the work up for atypical hemangioma results in a benign finding it is important to have further workup as malignancy cannot be excluded. Further workup may include MRI with contrast, bone scan or ct.

Answered 6/10/2014

4.9k views