i am a basket case. my son has congenital abnormalities. can you tell me something about it?

Term is nonspecific: Ca is a general term describing issues as minor as extra toes or as major as a malformed heart that needs major surgery to survive. You need to discuss the issues found in your son and what can be done about it. Your dr or a geneticist can help you understand your son's specific needs and what can be done and how soon.Good luck.
Dr. Cindy Juster
Depends on which.: Congenital abnormalities are physical differences in the body that are present at birth;each body part has the potential to have an anomaly.Some are genetic, some are due to things that happen in the womb, & some happen for unknown reasons.These differences can vary from minor anomalies (like an extra finger or an ear tag) that don't affect function, to major defects that can be fatal. Talk to doc.
Dr. Richard Roberts
No genetic counselng: Were these diagnosed before or after delivery? Since you apparently weren't informed about their significance, you should have been referred to a clinical geneticist, who can best evaluate your son and provide you with informed counseling with regard to cause, natural history, and potential recurrence risk to you and family members..