Valley Stream, New York

I got treated for dry socket, he put a guaze over it for me to bite down on. im confused. can i remove the guaze to eat/drink?theres brown stuff on it

Dr. J. Blake Perkins
Dentistry 23 years experience
Yes: The brown stuff is a special 'paste' with things like eugenol in it to deaden the pain. The medicine should be down in the socket, and the gauze was just to keep it in place and prevent it from being washed out. If you still have questions, contact your surgeon.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Hulbert
24 years experience
Extraction: 'brown stuff', may be medicine to aid in discomfort, or dried blood. The gauze you are to bite on is most likely to apply direct pressure to stop capilary blood flow. Take it out to eat and drink, if it continues to ooze blood bite directly on a wet tea bag for ten mins. Do not create negative pressure in your mouth by using a straw, or smoking. After 24 hours rinse gently with salt water often.
Last updated Aug 10, 2017