After hip arthroscopy surgey, what kind of recovery should i expect and is there pt involved? i had a cam impingement and labral tears

6 doctors weighed in across 4 answers

Arthroscopic surgery: Arthroscopic surgery is less invasive than hip replacement but you should expect some degree of disability after that. Pt may be involved and the degree of down time will depend on the extent of the surgery and your pain and functional limitation.

Answered 7/29/2013

5k views

Dr. Charles Toman answered

Specializes in Sports Medicine

3-4 months: Recovery is dependent on the extent of cartilage damage at the time of surgery. I start my patients they day after surgery with gentle motion with a therapist. This starts passive and then moves to active. Your surgeon should have given you a protocol.

Answered 8/7/2013

5k views

Hip arthroscopy: Pt is usually necessary for 3-6 months post op. It may take at least a year before most of the pain resolves; sometimes at 6 months.

Answered 2/25/2014

4.9k views

Dr. Darren Corteen answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Recommend PT: Can still expect pain post op, but 1st thing patients often note is change in character of pain in terms of severity, location, etc. Post op pain symptoms can persist for up to month, sometimes hip flexors stay irritated longer. Ideally would expect pre-op symptoms to resolve. If u are not a laborer could be back to work in some capacity in 4-6 weeks. No strenuous activity for 4-6 mos.

Answered 2/25/2014

4.4k views