Australia

i am having a mri today after having a scan on my right hip, the result was a 9 mm tear in the labrum, my dr said surgery but not arthroscopy, why?

Dr. David Trettin
Orthopedic Surgery 33 years experience
Unsure: If u have a painful hip and your ors has examined you and based on his exam and MRI findings he feels that your labral tear is causing your pain, then either: you may have misinterpreted what he said, you don't need surgery , or your ors has not trained in hip arthroscopy. If the latter is the case , find an ors who is comfortable doing hip arthroscopy. Good luck!
Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Orthopedic Surgery 25 years experience
Rec a scope: I would make sure your doc is comfortable w hip arthroscopy. Labral pathology is often addressed w a scope. If your doc is not comfortable w a hip scope, you may want to find a doc that is. I don't do hip scopes, so i send my pts with hip labral tears to docs that do.