I am having a mri today after having a scan on my right hip, the result was a 9 mm tear in the labrum, my dr said surgery but not arthroscopy, why?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. David Trettin answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Unsure: If u have a painful hip and your ors has examined you and based on his exam and MRI findings he feels that your labral tear is causing your pain, then either: you may have misinterpreted what he said, you don't need surgery , or your ors has not trained in hip arthroscopy. If the latter is the case , find an ors who is comfortable doing hip arthroscopy. Good luck!

Answered 2/5/2020

4.8k views

Dr. Zubin Khubchandani answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Rec a scope: I would make sure your doc is comfortable w hip arthroscopy. Labral pathology is often addressed w a scope. If your doc is not comfortable w a hip scope, you may want to find a doc that is. I don't do hip scopes, so i send my pts with hip labral tears to docs that do.

Answered 2/5/2020

4.3k views