U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Locust Grove, GA
A 41-year-old female asked:

I'm 41 years old, with a family history of breast cancer. thereis an area of questionable architectural distortion in the outer mid left breast. what should i do?

4 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Uyeda
General Surgery 46 years experience
Please : Consult with a surgeon who does breast surgery to see if you need to have a biopsy of this area. It is difficult to tell here, but it is always better to be safe.
Dr. Michael Sawyer
General Surgery 37 years experience
Surgeon: See a surgeon who does a high volume of breast surgery. You need a complete physical breast examination and history. Based on that you may get additional studies including focused ultrasound and / or breast MRI and possibly an image-guided biopsy using one of those modalities. Alternately, if everything checks out fine you may just be advised to have close follow up.
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Radiology 30 years experience
Please complete the: Workup, which will likely include more mammography (assuming only screening mammogram so far), breast ultrasound, and depending on the findings, involvement of a breast surgeon for a history and detailed physical examination. Further workup may include breast MRI and/or breast biopsy in order to make an accurate diagnosis.
Dr. Eva Duckett
Radiology 32 years experience
More imaging: They should have called you back for additional images. This would start with specialized mammogram views then possibly an ultrasound. If that still does not solve the question, a breast MRI may also be needed.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.