A male asked:

What options do i have for construction after breast cancer removal surgery? i am a woman in my mid 30s diagnosed with left breast cancer and treated with total removal of my left breast. what options do i have for symmetry again? how many operations do w

Dr. Gregory Laurence
Vascular Surgery 36 years experience
I : I am a breast augmentation expert but not a breast reconstruction expert. You, of course, realize that you might have the option of an implant (may require initial tissue expansion) or of a tissue flap. One issue that you should consider is fat transfer. I know that least one sub-specialized microvascular reconstruction expert that only uses fat transfer - he has abandoned his previous surgical training. One doctor that is a fat transfer expert is mario diana in san antonio. Goodluck!
Dr. Robert Brueck
Plastic Surgery 49 years experience
The : The most common procedure is to place a tissue expander on the side of the mastectomy.The tissue is then expanded to equal the other side.Soemtimes the other side may sag or droop and we do a breast lift to create symmetry and on occasion we also augment that side as well.There are a lot of optionsavailable and insurance will pay for this.
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Mastectomy: What you are describing would involve a delayed breast reconstruction since it is after the mastectomy has been performed it it has been allowed to heal. From description I do not know whether or not you had radiation treatment after your mastectomy. If you had radiation treatment then i recommend your own tissue through the use of flap surgery or fat grafting. Expander if no radiation in past!

Last updated Apr 14, 2019