TX

my pcp today said my results were normal from my urinalysis & 24hr urine collection. how did numbers go normal from 2007, my gfr used to be around 58?

Pathology 44 years experience
Time to talk: Frankly with your dr. Estimating the GFR in clinically healthy people based on spot bloodwork (not urine) is a fad that many pathologists and nephrologists consider unscientific and unfortunate. (the correction "because black people are more muscular" is one sign of subscience.) well-muscled men end up as kidney cases when they're really not. Urinalysis isn't even used for gfr.
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 48 years experience
Varying GFR: I would request you provide more information. What was your last creatinine when the 24 hour urine was collected? What was the GFR calculated on that collection? What does your physician take as being "normal"? Did you have a 24 hour urine collected in 2007 and what was your serum creatinine then? Your GFR could have been low in 2007 possibly due to some obstruction that has been resolved.

Last updated Jun 10, 2014