Stanford, CA
A 31-year-old male asked:

My sister has been trying to have a child for the last year. she has had a stable partner for this period of time but it seems like she can not get pregnant. what should they do to have a baby?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Irina Kovatch
Surgery 16 years experience
See OB/GYN for eval: It is recommended to see a professional if a couple was not able to conceive a child after a year of unprotected sex (6 months if a woman is >35 years old). To increase chances of conception the couple should have sex 2-3 times a week, optimize medical conditions, normalize body weight (bmi 19-26), reduce stress, avoid smoking and alcohol, limit caffeine consumption and start early (age < 30).
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Shariq Refai
Psychiatry 15 years experience
Multiple things: First try to predict when ovulation is occurring. There are phone apps and ovulation prediction kits available. Then try to have sex when ovulation is occurring. Have sex regularly especially during times of ovulation keeping in mind that sperm concentration will decrease each time. There are treatment options for people who can't conceive.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 21, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.