My fiance and i are trying to have a child, i have pcos. my periods have been known to last two years at a time. can i get pregnant while bleeding?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Nicole Jarvis answered

Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology

Possible, not likely: See doctor. It is not safe nor normal to have bleeding for 2 years straight even with PCOS. It is always possible to get pregnant (I never say never) but it sounds as if you are having bleeding from not ovulating, but there could be other causes that need to be checked for as well. This needs to be addressed both for safety and for trying to conceive.

Answered 10/27/2015

2.1k views

Dr. Wendy Askew answered

Specializes in

Very hard: Patients with PCOS typically have a problem of hormone imbalance that prevents them from ovulating regularly, and causes excessive build up of the lining of the uterus as well (and results in heavy/irregular bleeding). It would be extremely unlikely (almost impossible) to get pregnant while bleeding bc that is not a time ovulation usually occurs. need to see your doctor for help.

Answered 9/25/2017

2.1k views