U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 44-year-old member asked:

Where do i go to get an amniocentesis done?

2 doctor answers12 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Miller
Dr. David Milleranswered
Family Medicine 11 years experience
OB doc: Your OB doc will perform an amniocentesis in their office or an outpatient clinic. This is generally done to perform genetic testing on the baby.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Depends on reason: Amniocentesis is the procedure by which fluid is removed from the amniotic sac. It is done to study chromosomes, perform genetic tests, check lung maturity, etc. In general, it is performed by an obgyn specialist or a maternal-fetal medicine subspecialist in the office or clinic. It might also be performed on labor and delivery or the antepartum ward. Ask the OB provider what is best in your case.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 40-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 36-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Last updated Mar 15, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.