What is amniocentesis?

8 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Pam Yoder answered

Amnio is a procedure: Amniocentesis is the procedure during which a long, slim needle is inserted through the prenant woman's abdominal and uterine walls and through the membranes of the amniotic sac, and fluid is aspirated/drawn into a syringe attached to that needle. Fluid can be studied for chromosomes (karyotype) or special genetic disorders, for infection, for lung maturity and for other conditions of baby or mom.

Answered 2/14/2014

6.6k views

Amniotic fluid: Amniocentesis is a technique for obtaining amniotic fluid from the uterine cavity using a needle. It can be for both diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. It is most commonly used to evaluate fetal health (e.g., lung maturity, presence of infection...Etc.).

Answered 9/28/2016

4.9k views

Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy answered

Specializes in Obstetrics & Gynecology

Wait for results: I presume you are undergoing amniocentesis for genetic testing. Take it easy for a day or so, your doctor will give you precautions to follow

Answered 6/8/2014

4k views