i would like to know what would give me less amount of disability having a cast or having orif surgery for a broken fibula/ ankle?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
37 years experience Podiatry
Do you mean: Down time? It really depends on what the issue is. Orif seldom fail and heal within 6-8 weeks. In a cast we can't estimate time of healing, we have to take x-rays every two weeks to see if its healing. My preference for displaced fracture is orif. I think it is more predictable.
Answered on Feb 24, 2018
Dr. John Anderson
21 years experience Podiatry
ORIF: Orif will get you the closest back to a normal condition.
Answered on Feb 24, 2018
Dr. Marshall Solomon
47 years experience Podiatry
Depends on displacem: Depends on how much displacement of the fracture. If over 2mm of displacement and at level of the ankle joint or above orif would be beneficial.
Answered on Feb 24, 2018