San Francisco, CA

broke my fibula and tore ligaments in my ankle. had surgery (with a titanium plate and connector between my fib and tib). what's recovery time like?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
Let me answer you: 8-12 weeks. I hope you do okay. Thank you.
Dr. Nolan Segal
3 months: It can depend on how bad the fracture is and how much soft tissue damage was done. On average it takes 6 weeks for the bone to heel with another 6-8 weeks of rehab.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
Your surgeon is : The best to tell you. Bone takes 6-8 weeks to heel on average. 2-3 months is not an unreasonable time where one should start to be able to walk comfortably. Full recovery can take much longer than that however.
Dr. Eric Bluman
Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery 23 years experience
Months: Sounds as if you had repair of a syndesmosis injury as well as fixation of the ankle fracture. The former takes months to heal and will likely be the limiting factor before you can start bearing weight. Discuss expected recovery time with your orthopaedic surgeon.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Recovery time varies: Recover time will vary depending on many factors including age, general health of the patient, infection control, smoker or not, blood sugar control, and post-operative and follow up care. Discuss it with your surgeon and get their opinion as to what they feel is a reasonable recovery time for you.