who should i see in order to receive a basic eye exam eyeglass prescription--an ophthalmologist or optometrist?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Richard Bensinger
51 years experience Ophthalmology
Ophthalmologist: The difference in training and knowledge is impressive. I always liken the contrast as that between a lawyer (ophthalmologist) and a legal assistant ( optometrist). You will get an in depth examination, eyeglass prescription and thorough background of knowledge from the ophthalmologist. The optom with limited training is focused on product -selling glasses and contact lenses.
Answered on Jul 17, 2013
Dr. Dean Bonsall
26 years experience Pediatric Ophthalmology
Optom: Optometrist would be good place to start.
Answered on Sep 6, 2013
1
Dr. Harold Peltan
27 years experience Ophthalmology
If you have never had an exam, an ophthalmologist would be good. If you have at least once seen an ophthalmologist, and all you need is a glasses prescription, then an optometrist should be fine.
Sep 5, 2013