U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 59-year-old male asked:

Who should i see in order to receive a basic eye exam eyeglass prescription--an ophthalmologist or optometrist?

2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Ophthalmologist: The difference in training and knowledge is impressive. I always liken the contrast as that between a lawyer (ophthalmologist) and a legal assistant ( optometrist). You will get an in depth examination, eyeglass prescription and thorough background of knowledge from the ophthalmologist. The optom with limited training is focused on product -selling glasses and contact lenses.
Dr. Dean Bonsall
Pediatric Ophthalmology 27 years experience
Optom: Optometrist would be good place to start.
Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology 28 years experience
If you have never had an exam, an ophthalmologist would be good. If you have at least once seen an ophthalmologist, and all you need is a glasses prescription, then an optometrist should be fine.
Sep 5, 2013

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Dec 1, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.