U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old member asked:

Possible eye professional needed, so do i see the ophthalmologist or optometrist?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry 42 years experience
If it is just for : New glasses, you can see an optometrist. For most any other eye problem see the ophthamologist.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Podiatry 42 years experience
Depends: It depends on what treatment is needed. An optometrist does not perform surgery but does treat disease of the eye and does refraction for prescription eye glasses and contact lenses. Opthamologist is an md that specializes in the eye and tends to eye disease and surgery.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Mar 5, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.