is it normal to be senstive to cold foods now after i had as fillin done . which never happened to my tooth before the filling?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
Yes, normal: Filling may be a bit deep, and/or the tooth was traumatized by the procedure. It can take some time to pass as the tooth heals.
Answered on Jul 17, 2013
1
Dr. Robert Hulbert
21 years experience Dentistry
Fillings, sensitivit: It is very common to have sensitivity after a filling is done. Any time we instrument a tooth to remove decay, either with a laser, drill, or hand instrument, the tissue that is in the center of every live tooth, becomes inflamed. Even if slightly, this causes the tooth to become hypersensitive to stimulus like hot, cold, and direct bite. Normaly it goes away on its own. If not, call your dds.
Answered on Aug 1, 2013
1
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience Dentistry
Not uncommon: Perhaps 'normal' is not the right word. It happens frequently. Think of it this way. You have a small tumor in your abdomen. You had no pain. Following the successful removal of the tumor, you are sore and uncomfortable. In both cases the body was surgically treated and needs to heal back to health. It should resolve shortly. If not, see your dentist.
Answered on Jul 18, 2013