I had a filling put in on friday on a cavity is it normal for the tooth to be sensitive to cold drinks and feel a bit of pain still after filling?

Dr. Abraham Jaskiel
Dentistry 22 years experience
Root canal hurts: The first thing your dentist needs to check is the bite. If the bite is off you will be sensitive to hot and cold and maybe have a dull ache or inflammation and bleeding around the gums. You be clenching or grinding at night that can make it worse.
Dr. Victor Zeines
Dentistry 51 years experience
Sometimes: This is a fairly common occurance...It should go away after a few days if this continues or gets worse you should talk to your dentist I have my patients place a few drops of traumeel under their tongue to he4lp healing you can get this in a health food store.
Dr. Stephen Enriquez
Addiction Medicine 33 years experience
Yes: I'm sure u had a tooth colored restoration. In order for the tooth to receive the restoration, agents are place on the tooth that may result in sensitivity. It should go away so don't worry. It's normal. If it persists be sure to call ur doctor. Be well.
Dr. Michael Maroon
Cosmetic Dentistry 35 years experience
Sensitive filling: Yes. Prolonged sensitivity to cold is common after having work done on your teeth. If the pain persists longer than a week or increases when biting or drinking hot liquids, contact your dentist right away. It may indicate another problem.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
Can be: If the filling was deep, this can be normal. Cold is so much colder than mouth temperature that it is usually the one that we feel. 'hot' is less of a change from our mouth temperature, so we usually don't notice it. If the sensitivity does not improve/go away in a few days, then call your dentist. There may be other problems. Often the bite needs to be adlusted to get you comfortable. Good luck.

Last updated Jun 24, 2020