U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
New York, NY
A 48-year-old female asked:

My son reads minds and gives advice about my buddhist books/ he told me he is a "crystal child" and has been diagnosed with autism. should that be?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
Pediatrics 40 years experience
Autism Diagnosis: Autism is best diagnosed with the help of a neuropsychologist, neurologist or psychiatrist. Here are two helpful websites about autism: thinking person's guide to autism http://www.Thinkingautismguide.Com/ nami- national alliance for mental illness page about autism spectrum disorders http://www.Nami.Org/template.Cfm?Section=by_illness&template=/contentmanagement/contentdisplay.Cfm&contentid=66.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Alan Mease
Dr. Alan Mease commented
Pediatrics 50 years experience
I would add that a good developmental pediatrician may be able to help if you cannot find the other specialists. Autism is now recognized as a spectrum of neurodevelopmental disorders called Autism Spectrum Disorders and some chidlren are high functioning despite problems with communication and social development.
Sep 27, 2013
Dr. Marie Trenga
Family Medicine 38 years experience
No: Some people believe that crystal or indigo children have special talents or are the next step in human evolution. There is no scientific evidence supporting this theory. Remembering how many things that were considered strange are now facts, i prefer to keep an open mind. If this belief comforts your son in his everyday life and is not interfering with his development let him explore.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 30, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.