how will i know what does an asthma attack feel like?

Dr. Sean McGhee
Allergy and Immunology 23 years experience
Different things: Some people experience asthma as breathlessness or feeling starved for air, others chest tightness or chest pain, and still others hear or feel the wheezing in their chest. A few people only have cough, although they are the minority. When severe, there is usually little doubt about the diagnosis, but milder forms can sometimes be difficult to sort out.
Dr. Brian Novick
Allergy and Immunology 43 years experience
some people say it feels like a pile of books pressing on my chest..."hard to take a full breath"
Jan 30, 2012
Dr. James Glauber
I have heard an asthma attack described as trying to breathe through a straw.
Feb 3, 2012
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Terrible....: People describe the sensation as "breathing through a straw." it feels like there is not enough air in the room. It is a very scary sensation.
Dr. James Glauber
However as a pediatrician I have seen many younger children having asthma attacks that aren't complaining. Sometimes you have to look at how a child is breathing to know whether he/she is having an attack: rapid breathing, using extra muscles in the neck, chest and abdomen to breathe.
Feb 7, 2012
Dr. Helena Bentley
Chest tightness with persistent "tight" cough and wheezing. Some patients have said that it fells liike suffocation.
Feb 8, 2012
Dr. Matthew Majzun
Pulmonary Critical Care 14 years experience
Terrible. : Asthma attacks are usually fairly quick in onset, though if you're asthma is not well-related it may be hard to tell what's an attack and what is just uncontrolled asthma. Symptoms are usually shortness of breath, coughing, chest tightness, feeling like it's hard to get air out of your chest, and you may hear wheezing. If these start abruptly, you may need prompt medical attention.