could you potentially have no side effects from celexa (citalopram) until years later?

Dr. James Goodpaster
Dentistry 29 years experience
Yes: You can develop side-effects from any medication whether taken a long time or for a few days. Some are bothersome enough to stop the medication or change to another while others can be mild and not a problem. Talk to your prescriber and explain what you are experiencing. You may also respond well with a lower dose if the Celexa (citalopram) is still helping.
Dr. Linda Callaghan
Addiction Medicine 53 years experience
I am not sure if you're asking if there are side-effects long after you discontinued the Celexa. Most medications have what they call half lives and some medications like Prozac have long half lives and can still have some effects a few months after it is discontinued but I doubt if you have side-effects after a year from discontinuing Celexa.
Jul 15, 2013
Dr. James Goodpaster
Dentistry 29 years experience
Provided original answer
I agree with Dr. Callaghan that if you have stopped the medication, it is unlikely to have side-effects from Celexa. In my answer I assumed that you are still taking it and many medications may have side-effects that develop after long-term use but most side-effects on most medications go away after taking them a while.
Aug 9, 2013