FL

my new general dentist sent me to my new periodontist saying that person should be asked about my occlusion (bite). is this common practice?

Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dentistry 42 years experience
Yes: Referral is appropriate when your general doctor or specialist find out that you need additional treatment that he may not be able to provide within his area of expertise. Periodontist as well as prosthodontists are best trained to treat and manage issues with the TMJ and occlusion. I would definitely follow his or her advice. (scdentalimplants.Com).
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 33 years experience
Mouth mechanics : The mouth is a complex system. You have bite mechanics including, jaw position and function. You have teeth positioning including previous orthodontics, tooth loss, crowding/spacing. Next periodontal status including active periodontal disease, bleeding, mobility and furcation. Next is you... How is your home-care? What are you doing or not doing? Do you grind? Not enough space here, sorry.
Dr. Gary Kitzis
Prosthodontics 35 years experience
Occlusal examination: Yes. A periodontists and prosthodontists have extensive training in examining and correcting the occlusion and if your general dentist feels your occlusion requires further evaluation, you should go.